Lands, physical planning and infrastructure development.
Hon. Fahima Arafat – CEC
Ministry of Land, Planning, Development & Natural Resources
An innovative use of land,water and other natural resources supported by good infrastructure for rural development.
To improve the livelihoods of the county residents through equitable distribution and sustainable management of land,water,forestry and wildlife and easy access to economic infrastructure. To achieve the vision and mission the county shall carry out land audit redistribute land through establishment of settlement schemes,carry out spatial planning,reduce the distance to accessible clean water to less than 1 km for most residents and in liaison with the national government, put in place all time economic infrastructure such as roads,electricity and ICT
Land and land use:
The county has land surface area of 6273.1km2 composed of 5517 km2 of arable land 649.7 km2 of non arable land,130km2 of coastline and 308 km2 under water mass.Lamu West sits on land surface area of 3971.3km2 hence taking 63.3% of total land,leaving Lamu East with 36.7%.Kiunga division in Lamu East occupies 96.6% of Lamu Eastland surface area.The bulk of arable land is in Lamu West while Lamu East takes the bulk of water mass.Based on the physiographic and climatic conditions,the county is classified into the following Agro-Ecological zones.Coastal lowlands, Coconut Cassava zone, Cashew nut-Cassava zone, Livestock millet zone, Lowland ranching zone, Energy
Electricity generated through diesel generators is provided to the main market centers by KENGEN mainly covering Lamu West Sub County.Although generators have been installed through CDFin Lamu East market centres,they are yet to provide electricity supply.Connectivity to the National grid is almost complete.Private investors have also shown interest in developing renewable sources of energy such as solar and wind energy.Firewood and charcoal are the main sources of cooking fuel,with use of LPG limited to the affluent in the urban centres.
The county’s main sources of water include ground water which is mostly saline,surface water from dams,pans, jabiars, lakes, seasonal rivers and ocean. Four organizations including Lamu water and sewerage company,lake Kenyatta water association,Hindu water association and Witu water users association, manage the county’s water supply. Rainwater is the main source of fresh/soft water for the county residents.Due to its inhibitive costs,only rich private individuals and hotels carry out desalination.The average distance of household to access clean water is approximately 5km